Company: Golley Slater
Apprenticeship Role: Apprentice Media Executive
About the Organisation
Golley Slater is one of the UK’s largest independent communications groups. Originally founded as an advertising agency in 1957, the group has evolved into an integrated marketing services consultancy, embracing marketing consultancy, direct marketing, digital marketing, recruitment advertising, and design and public relations.
Golley Slater Media is committed to excellence and takes great pride in the quality and effectiveness of the services it provides.
As an Apprentice Media Executive, you will help manage the Client relationship as well as managing internal processes and systems. You will help to ensure that media schedules are delivered to brief, to time and to budget.
The role is offered under the terms of the Level 4 Higher Level Apprenticeship in Advertising and Marketing Communications delivered through Sgil Cymru. Candidates should familiarise themselves with the requirements of this Apprenticeship and be able to commit to a full 15-month apprenticeship.
It is our intention to make this role permanent; however, this will be subject to satisfactory performance within the role, completion of the Apprenticeship and the demands of the business in 15 months’ time. All our previous candidates under such training schemes have been employed by Golley Slater and have since established successful careers in the industry.
The role of the Media Executive is fundamental to successful Client relationships; they provide a consistent, pivotal and trusted point of contact for the Client, Suppliers and internal Agency department. As a Media Executive, you will gain an understanding of your allocated clients’ business and take responsibility for the implementation and delivery of campaign reporting and routine optimisation. Where necessary, they will question performance metrics and with the support of senior team members, suggest suitable optimisation and strive to add value to individual campaigns.
Enthusiasm, dedication, diligence, initiative and tenacity are key attributes of a successful Media Executive.
- Adhere to the Group’s philosophy (see Staff Handbook) in your behaviour towards clients, colleagues, media, suppliers and any other third parties that come into contact with the consultancy.
- To complete tasks in line with our policies, procedures and systems as governed by our Quality Manual.
- To be aware of Health & Safety of self and others at all times.
- To assist in the management of allocated client accounts, liaising with all relevant internal departments to ensure that projects are achieved on deadline, on brief, within budget and to the standard expected.
- To contribute to the daily workflow of the agency and report all issues to his/her line manager.
- Positively promote the agency, its work and integrity both internally and externally.
- Ensure that the highest level of service is consistently provided by all departments.
- Focus on developing Client relationships, gain trust and credibility
- To manage client projects successfully and profitably through the agency.
- Manage and liaise with clients to ensure that full account reporting is in order
- Ensure that projects, once commissioned, run smoothly, accurately and to budget, on time and to an agreed standard. Update and seek advice from the line manager when problems arise.
- Review all work in progress at the start of each day and prioritise to meet press deadlines
- Keep line manager/team in the loop on project progress and copy them on relevant/important correspondence. Use your discretion.
- Liaise with Client both verbally, in writing and face-to-face
- To assist in the creation of new media campaigns and idea generation for both existing and new clients.
- Develop strong/solid working relationships with clients.
- Ensure client needs are met quickly, efficiently and completely.
- Research appropriate media options for specific audiences.
- Advise clients on best possible means to achieve objectives on an ongoing basis.
- Be aware of and operate within procedures, the approval process and sign off. Work to pre-agreed timings. Work within our Quality Management System.
- Use agreed formats for all correspondence. Use appropriate tone in all correspondence, including e-mail. Where necessary, seek line manager approval.
- Ensure all Client/Supplier correspondence is fully documented and filed correctly
- Take overall accountability for legal, client and third party approvals for campaigns/projects
- Working with a Senior Account Executive or Manager you will assist in the Creative Development process.
- Ensure that Creative are provided with support and assistance as part of the creative development process – e.g. background research, sourcing requirements, making sure things happen etc.
- Alongside a manager provide constructive feedback to the Creative Team on concepts and copy
- Work with the Creative department to construct a creative rationale for client presentations
- To assist in the new business and pitch processes whenever appropriate, helping to formulate presentations, estimates and creative briefs as requested by the client and new business personnel.
- You will need to demonstrate strong organisational ability and unquestionable administrative skills.
- You must ensure that Start Work Orders and paperwork are updated as stipulated in the Quality Manual.
- Your work will be subject to regular audit, both internally and externally by independent assessors as part of our quality accreditation. Persistent non-conformity to processes will be noted in the Problem Report Log and may result in disciplinary action.
Client, Competitor and Industry Monitoring
- Demonstrate proactivity in all three areas and be aware of the trends within the industry in which the client operates
- Liaising with media and production suppliers you will gain quotes and accurately communicate these quotes, noting commission rates and any additional agency discounts or added value.
- You must quote a full Golley Slater order number to the supplier before giving authority to proceed.
- You will maintain an effective working relationship with our internal Accounts Department and answer any queries/requests for information promptly.
- You will be diligent, organised and highly credible with the necessary professionalism and commitment to customer service to consistently deliver high standards.
- You will be confident with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills. Tact and diplomacy are also necessary requirements.
- You may need to adopt a flexible approach to working hours to meet the needs of the business.
Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrates an understanding of the various elements of the marketing mix.
- Strong Numeracy and Literacy skills.
- Able to communicate effectively and accurately, displaying strong interpersonal skills
- Must be professionally credible and able to build relationships effectively
- Has strong organisational skills
- Good industry awareness and understanding of digital business services.
- Highly Computer literate – must be adept in the use of MS Office, particularly Excel, Word and Powerpoint. Must be very familiar with the use of the Internet and email.
- The ability to speak Welsh is an advantage for the role.
Whilst working for Golley Slater you will be completing a 15-month Level 4 Apprenticeship in Advertising and Marketing (Communications) through Cardiff-based training provider, Sgil Cymru.
The exact salary for this role is TBC. The minimum an apprentice will receive is the National Minimum Apprentice Allowance, which is £3.70 per hour for the first 12 months of the apprenticeship. Those aged 19 years or over will be eligible for at least the National Minimum Wage for their age group once their first 12 months as an Apprentice has been completed.
For more information on the National Apprentice Minimum Wage, visit www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
How to Apply
Click here to complete the application form.
If you have questions about the apprenticeship programme, please check the FAQs.
1200 Wednesday 29th August 2018.
Click here for a PDF version of the job description.