Company: BBC Cymru Wales
Apprenticeship Role: Production Office Apprentice (Drama)
Location: Roath Lock Studios, Cardiff
About the Organisation
BBC Cymru Wales is the nation’s broadcaster, providing a wide range of English and Welsh language content for audiences across Wales on television, radio and on our websites
Roath Lock, is the BBC’s state of the art centre of excellence for Drama, a place brimming with new energy and talent. When the first productions moved into Roath Lock in September 2011, they fulfilled a BBC commitment to create a centre of excellence for Drama in Cardiff.
Located in Porth Teigr, Cardiff Bay, the 170,000 square foot facility, including nine studios and equivalent in length to three football pitches, is now the permanent,
purpose-built home of four flagship BBC dramas – Casualty, Pobol y Cwm, Doctor Who – as well as new productions in the future.
What does a Production Office Apprentice do?
As a Production Office Apprentice you will need to be enthusiastic, hardworking, have good attention to detail and be an excellent communicator.
As part of the Production Team you will assist the Line Producer/Production Co-ordinator in order to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the production.
Apprentices within the Production Office are expected to do everything from making coffee, answering the phone, booking travel and stock and providing all types of admin support to the production coordinator and their team.
You will be computer literate and be able to think for yourselves.
You need the ability to organise, but also to work to direction, and be motivated and enthusiastic.
The role may sometimes involve long and unsociable hours.
Examples of the jobs a Production Office Apprentice could do in future –
- Production Management Assistant
- Production Secretary
- Assistant Production Coordinator
- Production Coordinator
- Production Manager
What kind of person do I need be?
- Good communicator
- A Self-Starter
- Good at taking direction
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft packages, such as Word and Excel;
- ability to take direction and to work as part of a team;
- good communication and people skills;
- initiative and awareness;
- Organising and prioritising;
- ability to respond, and to work quickly, under pressure;
- Teamwork – Highly effective team player.
- Managing Relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information
- Influencing and persuading – Ability to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change
- Planning and organising – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Priorities and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Drive – Demonstrates commitment, motivation and energy.
- Self Development – Demonstrates personal strengths and development needs, and continually seeks to improve performance by learning new skills and behaviours.
- Flexibility – Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
Whilst working for BBC you will be completing a 12-month Level 3 Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media.