Company: Real SFX
Apprenticeship Role: Special Effects Apprentice – Real SFX
About the Organisation
Real SFX is a practical special effects company that specialises in atmospheric, fire, explosives, mechanical rigs, model making and soft props. The team of highly skilled supervisors and technicians create bespoke physical effects for the TV, Film and Event industry. With the fully functional workshop in Cardiff, the team travels all over the UK working on high-end TV productions such as Peaky Blinders, Luther and Sherlock in addition to feature films such as Free Fire, Show Dogs, Final Score and Hunter Killer.
Real SFX is hiring a Special Effects Apprentice to join their team in Cardiff. Please note that this is not a job involving prosthetics or makeup and Real SFX is not a CGI company but a special effects company that create a variety of physical special effects from scratch. As an apprentice, you will be based in the Cardiff workshop and working as part of the crew helping to create, build and execute physical special effects.
The ideal Special Effects Apprentice will:
- Have a clean driving license with a minimum of 3 years’ experience
- Have a flexible approach to working hours
- Have an interest in engineering, woodwork, mechanics, model making and electrics
- Need to be versatile and innovative have an aptitude to learn and have the ability to think on their feet and problem solve
- Be aware of Health and Safety and be willing to listen and learn from experienced technicians
- Be willing to travel for work as Real SFX works all over the UK
- Have great communication and listening skills
- Work well as part of a team
The Special Effects Apprentice will be expected to:
- Ensure the workshop is kept clean and tidy, in order to maintain a safe working environment for all the Real SFX team
- Load and unload vehicles with the required kit for productions
- Maintain stock and replenishing when required
- Keep storage stock, fixtures and fittings organised and tidy
- Assist the Special Effects Technicians with the maintenance of equipment and effects
- Run errands between the Special Effects and other departments
- Learn about the different types of effects and what equipment and materials are required to achieve them
- Keep a comprehensive record of work experience for the Diploma qualification
Whilst working as a Special Effects Apprentice you will have the opportunity to learn a wide range of skills within the workshop. You will also have the opportunity to use a variety of specialist machinery that is used to create special effects such as wind, rain, snow and fire. This will give you the chance to oversee the special effects process and how to use pyrotechnics safely.
Desirable but not Essential Skills:
- Fluent Welsh speaker
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office including Word and Excel)
Whilst working for Real SFX you will be completing a 12-month Level 3 Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media through Cardiff-based training provider, Sgil Cymru.
For more information on the National Apprentice Minimum Wage, visit www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
How to Apply
Click here to fill in the application form.
If you have questions about the apprenticeship program, please read the FAQs.
14.00 on the 23rd July, 2019