The closing date for this job has now passed.
Company: BBC Cymru Wales
Apprenticeship Role: Costume Apprentice
Location: Roath Lock Studios, Cardiff
About the Organisation
BBC Cymru Wales is the nation’s broadcaster, providing a wide range of English and Welsh language content for audiences across Wales on television, radio and on our websites
Roath Lock, is the BBC’s state of the art centre of excellence for Drama, a place brimming with new energy and talent. When the first productions moved into Roath Lock in September 2011, they fulfilled a BBC commitment to create a centre of excellence for Drama in Cardiff.
Located in Porth Teigr, Cardiff Bay, the 170,000 square foot facility, including nine studios and equivalent in length to three football pitches, is now the permanent,
purpose-built home of four flagship BBC dramas – Casualty, Pobol y Cwm, Doctor Who – as well as new productions in the future.
What do Costume Department Apprentices do?
As an apprentice you will gain an understanding of production processes relevant to costume, experience in script analysis and continuity, production scheduling and an understanding of on-set etiquette whilst being required to assist and support the experienced costume team.
You will need to have achieved a good standard of costume makes, alterations, and maintenance, and have the confidence to work quickly and efficiently under pressure.
You also need to demonstrate a positive and committed attitude and a strong desire to learn since the hours are long and the job can involve long periods working away from home.
Examples of the jobs a Costume Apprentice could do in future –
- Costume Assistant
- Wardrobe Assistant
- Costume Designer
- Costume Supervisor
What kind of person do you need be?
- Visually aware
- Competent at sewing/mending/altering
- Competent at Ironing
- Knowledge of fashion and costume
- They need to be adaptable, and able to deal proactively with last minute changes.
- They must cope well with external deadlines, and be able to work on their own initiative.
- They should be able to hand sew, in order to make any emergency repairs.
- They must know how to dress Actors, and how to gauge clothing sizes at a glance.
- Good computer skills (Mac and PC) are essential.
- An eye for design
- Communication; conveying ideas to others
- Teamwork – Highly effective team player.
- Managing Relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information
- Influencing and persuading – Ability to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change
- Planning and organising – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Priorities and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Creative Thinking – Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Drive – Demonstrates commitment, motivation and energy.
- Self Development – Demonstrates personal strengths and development needs, and continually seeks to improve performance by learning new skills and behaviours.
- Flexibility – Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
Whilst working for BBC you will be completing a 12-month Level 3 Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media.