Company: BBC Cymru Wales
Apprenticeship Role: Script Apprentice
Location: Roath Lock Studios, Cardiff
About the Organisation
BBC Cymru Wales is the nation’s broadcaster, providing a wide range of English and Welsh language content for audiences across Wales on television, radio and on our websites
Roath Lock, is the BBC’s state of the art centre of excellence for Drama, a place brimming with new energy and talent. When the first productions moved into Roath Lock in September 2011, they fulfilled a BBC commitment to create a centre of excellence for Drama in Cardiff.
Located in Porth Teigr, Cardiff Bay, the 170,000 square foot facility, including nine studios and equivalent in length to three football pitches, is now the permanent,
purpose-built home of four flagship BBC dramas – Casualty, Pobol y Cwm, Doctor Who – as well as new productions in the future.
As an Apprentice in the Script Department you will need to be enthusiastic, hardworking, organised have a passion for creative writing and storytelling.
Apprentices in this Department are expected to do everything from making coffee, diary management, answering phones and using social media to reading scripts, writing reports and researching ideas.
You will be prepared to work long hours, be computer literate and be able to think for yourselves. You need the ability to organise, but also to work to direction, and have a high level of literacy.
You will gain a full understanding of how a production works and in particular the creative process of how stories are created and refined for TV Drama.
This role can set you on the editorial career path that includes story assistant, assistant script editor, researcher, script editor and producer.
Examples of the jobs a Script Apprentice could do in the future –
- Script Secretary
- Drama Researcher
- Script Editor
- Story Assistant
- Script Producer
- Story Producer
- Development Assistant
What kind of person do I need to be?
- Creative ability to generate story ideas
- A Self-Starter
- Excellent writing skills
- ability to take direction and to work as part of a team;
- good communication and people skills;
- initiative and awareness;
- ability to respond, and to work quickly, under pressure;
- high level of literacy & passion for creative writing
Following directly on from the apprenticeship year, if the qualification is obtained, the placement successful and there is a requirement from the Productions, a second year traineeship may be offered.
- Teamwork – Highly effective team player; works for the benefit of the whole
- Managing Relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information
- Influencing and persuading – Ability to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change
- Planning and organising – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Priorities and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Creative Thinking – Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Drive – Demonstrates commitment, motivation and energy.
- Self Development – Demonstrates personal strengths and development needs, and continually seeks to improve performance by learning new skills and behaviours.
- Flexibility – Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
Whilst working for BBC you will be completing a 12-month Level 3 Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media.