Main Employer: South East Wales City Region ATA (Apprentice Training Agency)
Apprentice Role: CRIW Apprentice
Location: Located with various companies and productions across south Wales
** It is mandatory to have a driving licence and your own transport for this scheme **
The CRIW Apprenticeship Scheme is a brilliant way to come into the industry since it shows people how the sector really works, as the apprentices will be moving from production to production, depending on shooting schedules.
The role offers opportunities to gain essential experience of the process of producing content and offers wide-ranging networking opportunities that are valuable within the Media sector.
The crew on a film or TV production is made up of a variety of different departments, and can be entirely staffed by freelancers who move from production to production. As a CRIW Apprentice, you’ll be working alongside freelancers and could be in any department, including:
- Assistant Directors – ensuring good communication on set between departments, working with cast and supporting artists.
- Production Office – providing logistical support by organising travel/accommodation, generating and distributing paperwork.
- Locations – making sure the location or studio is ready to shoot and maintained throughout the shoot day, and new locations prepared.
- Art department – offering support with props and set work.
- Post-Production – dealing with audio and visual files, ingest, and rushes running.
- Camera – providing support to the camera crew including runner duties, handling the cables, batteries and lenses.
- Costume – assisting the department with washing, ironing, runner duties, research, labelling and distressing of costumes.
- Make-up – ensuring support to the department with supplies, cleaning and dealing with supporting artists.
There may also be opportunities in other departments depending on production requirements. Either way, you’ll also be making tea/coffee, talking on the phone/radio and will most likely spend most of the day on your feet. You might find yourself working for a number of weeks on one production, and then just a few days on another – just like a freelancer.
The role may involve working long and unsociable hours. You don’t need prior experience of working in production, but you definitely need to be motivated, enthusiastic and hard working.
Covid-19 working protocols will be in place to adhere to, per production.
- Be based in south Wales and have the legal right to work in the UK and are available and willing to travel and work on productions across south Wales at various locations as well as at the Sgil Cymru Training centre (Great Point Seren Stiwdios, Rumney, Cardiff, CF3 2GH).
- Hold a driving licence and personal transport.
- Have a passion for watching TV and films.
- Have a keen interest in working in roles behind-the-scenes of film and TV productions and wish to pursue a career in the industry.
- Able to commit to 12 months of the apprenticeship scheme (May 2023-2024).
- You must not be in full-time education as of the 22nd of May, 2023.
- Access to the internet for off-site learning when required.
- The CRIW Apprentice Scheme is aimed at people who have not completed a degree. However you may be eligible to apply if your degree is not in the same occupational area as the apprenticeship programme.
- Have at least 4 GCSEs at grades A* to C (English and Maths preferred) or equivalent.
- You don’t need previous industry experience.
Whilst working as a CRIW Apprentice you will be completing a 12-month Level 3 Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media.
What kind of person do I need to be?
- Good communicator
- A Self-Starter
- Good at taking direction
- Competent IT skills, including Microsoft packages, such as Word and Excel;
- Ability to take direction and to work as part of a team;
- Good communication and people skills;
- Initiative and awareness;
- Organising and prioritising;
- Ability to respond, and to work quickly, under pressure;
- Enjoy working in a busy and pressurised environment;
- Clean drivers licence;
- Teamwork – Highly effective team player.
- Managing Relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Influencing and persuading – Ability to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Planning and organising – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Priorities and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Drive – Demonstrates commitment, motivation and energy.
- Self-development – Demonstrates personal strengths and development needs, and continually seeks to improve performance by learning new skills and behaviours.
- Flexibility – Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
Sgil Cymru is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, & socio-economic background.
Important dates and how to apply
Closing date for applications: Thursday, 27th April 2023 @ Midday
Recruitment Workshops: Tuesday May 9th, 2023.
Apprenticeship scheme start date: Monday, 22nd May 2023.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
Please contact us HERE if you have any questions.