Company: BBC Cymru Wales
Apprenticeship Role: Multiplatform Sport Apprentice
Location: Broadcasting House, Llandaff, Cardiff
About the Organisation
BBC Cymru Wales is the nation’s broadcaster, providing a wide range of English and Welsh language content for audiences across Wales on television, radio and on our websites.
Based in Llandaff, Cardiff, BBC Cymru Wales’ Sport department produces a range of programmes for both local and network television and radio including Scrum V, Match of the Day Wales, Radio Wales Sport.
What does a Multiplatform Sport Apprentice do?
Works and assists production teams to contribute and develop ideas for television, radio, online and social media content, with specific focus on social media.
Works mainly with the BBC Wales Sport online team, with output/content including: Scrum V, Match of the Day Wales, Radio Wales Sport.
As this is a multiplatform role, the Apprentice will have the opportunity and be expected to move across platforms in the Wales Sport department – Online, TV and Radio, with a specific focus on Social Media output.
Social Media focus:
The apprentice will be primarily Digital/ Social Media focussed, spending considerable time in the Sport Online team. Responsibilities here will include:
- Supporting the social media plan for BBC Cymru Wales Sport, to drive reach and engagement;
- Researching and suggesting ideas for new topics for social media output;
- Supporting Sport social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Staying up to date with the new trends on social media and reacting accordingly;
- Being aware of the daily social media trends, suggesting stories and engaging with influential social media users inside and outside the BBC;
Examples of jobs a Multiplatform Sport Apprentice could do in future –
- Assistant Producer
- Broadcast Journalist
- Production Manager
- Social Media producer
What kind of person do I need be?
- Good communicator
- Shows initiative
- Good at taking direction
- Ability to demonstrate strong research skills.
- A strong interest in sport.
- An understanding of BBC Wales Sport’s output.
- A good standard of written English is essential.
- Experience and knowledge of social media and related areas.
- Proven technical IT skills, with desktop editing knowledge desirable.
- A passion for television and journalism.
- A pro-active attitude, a passion for story-telling, and an ability to contribute new and innovative ideas for broadcast.
- Teamwork – Highly effective team player; works for the benefit of the whole
- Managing Relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information
- Influencing and persuading – Ability to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change
- Planning and organising – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Priorities and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Creative Thinking – Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Drive – Demonstrates commitment, motivation and energy.
- Self Development – Demonstrates personal strengths and development needs, and continually seeks to improve performance by learning new skills and behaviours.
- Flexibility – Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
Whilst working for BBC you will be completing a 12-month Level 3 Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media.