The closing date for this job has now passed.
Company: ITV Cymru Wales
Apprenticeship Role: Production Specialist Apprentice
About the Organisation
ITV Cymru Wales is the face of ITV in Wales. We’re part of the UK’s most popular free-to-air commercial broadcaster – home to some of the biggest shows on television. From our new state-of-the-art base in Cardiff Bay, we produce four hours of award-winning news, sport and weather, plus 90-minutes of current affairs and factual programming every week, mostly scheduled in peak time. Our news website continues to grow in popularity and is increasing our reach among smartphone and tablet users. We also have a successful commercial relationship with S4C, producing current affairs and factual output for the channel.
Specialists within the Production Team work as part of a multi-disciplined team providing technical, craft, operational and administrative skills across all areas of the news service.
As an apprentice you will have opportunity to develop core skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Scripts, Scheduling, Rosters, Logging, Clearance and Returns and other Programme support
- Autocue for live studio programme
- Shadowing, with the opportunity to experience: live studio operations, including Directing, Vision mixing, Sound, Gallery PA-ing, Newsroom Camera and Floor Management
- Traffic, Playout, Ingest, Timeline
- Lines/Upod bookings
- Online/Digital support
- Editing and templated Graphics
Everyone in the Production Team will be required:
- To develop new skills from the list above in order to work effectively as part of this crucial operating team.
- To deliver your core skill/s to a high standard and share your knowledge and skills in that area with your Production colleagues
- To move between different duties on a daily basis as the operation dictates, recognising the need to be flexible particularly where tasks change at short notice.
Shared Team Responsibilities
- To learn and develop new skills as required to enable you to carry out any tasks which are reasonably requested of you, and for which you have received appropriate informal or formal training; pro-actively finding ways to promote and sustain a multi-skilled approach.
- To ensure the operation makes the best use of available resources within budget ensuring all operations adheres to all relevant ITV guidelines. To understand and act upon ITV’s Health & Safety and Risk Assessment policies.
- To work closely and respectfully with all members of the editorial, production and presenting teams, both locally and in the wider ITV News and ITV family, to implement the overall editorial strategy, ensuring ITV News Workflow guidelines are followed and ITV values are embraced.
- To work closely and pro-actively with other ITV newsrooms, including Regional, Network, Daybreak and ITV.com fostering and maintaining relationships for the benefit of ITV News as a whole, contributing to projects and forums, and supporting initiatives as required.
- To provide honest and constructive feedback to all colleagues for the overall benefit of the news operation. In addition, Production Leads will be required to provide excellent line management to a small group of colleagues.
The rostered hours for this role will include weekend working.
The working pattern will incorporate late shifts (typically 2300 finish) as well as early morning (typically 0500 start). You are expected to provide your own means of transportation to and from your main workplace.
Because of the nature of news production, there will be occasions when you are required to work long and unsociable hours at short notice.
Some members of the Production Team may be required to travel to district offices or to work in other news operations as well as attending relevant forums, development sessions and meetings off site as part of their role.
Qualifications/Professional Certificates Required
No formal qualifications are required for this role and on the job training will be provided. You will have an interest in news and programme production – with a particular interest in the technical aspects of television production.
Abilities and Characteristics Required
- You will be a motivated and talented individual with an interest in at News & Technology.
- You will be committed to learning and working as part of a successful multi-skilled team, sharing the responsibility for supporting programme production by having a willingness and aptitude to learn new skills with the appropriate training.
- You will be willing to share your skills and experience with others for the overall benefit of the team and the output.
- You will possess some basic technical operational literacy, ready to adapt to changing technologies and practices.
- You will be friendly and approachable, respectful of all your ITV colleagues and you’ll have the ability to maintain a positive attitude, even when under pressure, working to deadlines or in a live environment.
- You will be constantly alert to the common goal, demonstrating flexibility around task in order to get the collective job done, able to adapt and prioritise at short notice
- You will be an excellent communicator who is self motivated and quick thinking with strong and decisive decision making skills
Work Experience Required
Experience of spending time in a live TV News production environment is desirable. A passion for news and live broadcasting is essential.
Whilst working for ITV you will be completing a 12-month Level 3 Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media.